The Importance of Electrical Maintenance

Electrical maintenance involves inspecting a building’s equipment and wiring by licensed industry professional Electrician Pasadena. This routine service helps reduce costly repair bills and downtime caused by malfunctioning equipment. One important maintenance tip is to never plug more into an outlet than it can handle. Overloaded outlets can cause circuits to overload and trip. Also, make sure to replace any frayed or damaged cords.

Overloading Outlets


Overloading outlets are probably one of the most common causes of electrical problems in residential and commercial settings. Many of us plug in devices and appliances without a second thought, but it’s important to be aware that each outlet has a limit on how much power it can draw. When too much electricity is drawn from a single outlet, it will overheat and possibly cause a fire. This is because the heat melts the insulation of the wires, causing them to touch each other and possibly creating a short circuit. Overheated wires are also a common source of electric shock.

Electrical overloading can be easily corrected with a short-term fix. It simply involves moving devices away from the affected outlet or circuit to another general-purpose outlet until the issue is resolved. More permanent solutions may involve upgrading your electrical system and ensuring that there are enough electrical circuits for the number of devices in each room, installing new outlets as needed, and not using extension cords permanently (they’re designed for short-term use only).

Hot Outlets

Electrical devices like laptops convert electric current into usable power, but this process can warm up an outlet. When an outlet feels hot to the touch, it means that it’s struggling to control the flow of electricity, which is why it’s warming up. It’s also a sign of a bigger problem, so you should unplug any devices from the outlet and call an electrician right away.

Ants and insects love to build nests in tight spaces, and it’s not uncommon for them to move into electrical outlets. If you notice an accumulation of ants around an outlet, turn off the power to the area and call pest control right away. You’ll also want to consider calling an electrician to inspect the outlet and wiring, as they may have been chewed through by the ants.

Whether it’s a faulty plug or an overloaded circuit, electrical problems can be a fire hazard. That’s why it’s essential to practice proper electrical maintenance to prevent problems from occurring in the first place. Ensure that all electrical maintenance tasks are recorded in your facility’s CMMS or IMMP, and make sure to set up an electrical safety training program for your maintenance crew.

Damaged Cords

Electrical cords and wires often take a beating, whether from daily use or accidental mishandling. When they become damaged, they create dangerous situations that can result in a fire or electrocution. Keeping up with electrical maintenance helps prevent these accidents, which can be very expensive for business owners and commercial property owners.

Appliances and power tools that are frequently moved often experience damage to their power cords, especially at the plug. Occasionally, this happens when users clip off the ground prong on three-pronged grounded plugs (see Figure 1). When this occurs, it renders the appliance ungrounded and can increase the risk of fire or injury. In other cases, the outer cord covering is damaged and exposes the inner energized wires (see Figure 2).

These types of cords should be replaced as soon as possible to reduce these risks. It’s also important to remember that using cords that are not rated for the voltage you’re trying to use them with can lead to overheating and a fire.

Tripping hazards are one of the most common electrical safety concerns. Employees, visitors and clients can trip over wires that aren’t arranged properly, which is not only embarrassing for the person who trips, but it can cause serious bodily harm or damage to costly equipment. It’s a good idea to reorganize workspaces and tape down or clearly mark off any cords that need to extend across doorways, hallways and aisles temporarily.

Electrical tape is sometimes used to cover up minor nicks and abrasions in cords, but this is not a good idea. According to OSHA, using electrical tape to cover up cord damage allows the exposed insulation to touch live wires, which can pose a safety hazard.

It’s also a good idea to periodically test cords for bare copper wires. Using a wire tester or an infrared heat sensor, these tools can help you identify bare copper, which may be indicative of frayed cords that should be replaced immediately. While performing this type of inspection, it’s important to follow Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) procedures before beginning any work.

Strange Sounds

Noises coming from the sky that cannot be explained can cause a lot of anxiety and sleepless nights for people who are plagued by them. While some of these mysteries have been resolved (like the southern Pacific “bloops” linked to Antarctic icequakes), there are others that still remain unexplained, like a mysterious humming or throbbing sound that is heard in various locations around the world.

In some cases, these sounds are described as trumpet-like, which makes them all the more eerie. Apparently, they are being heard in various places, including Canada, Germany and Belarus. Despite the wide range of locations, they all seem to have similar characteristics, including being very low-frequency and becoming louder at night.

A logical explanation for this mystery lies in the science of atmospheric refraction. Basically, sound waves can be refracted by the atmosphere to create a tone that isn’t actually coming from a specific location. This happens because of refraction of light and other types of electromagnetic waves as well.

However, these refractions can also distort or boost natural sounds and other man-made noises to make them sound much more ominous than they really are. For example, the rumble of trains on tracks or the sounds of construction can all be altered by atmospheric conditions to make them sound more sinister.

Sometimes, these strange sounds are caused by electrical interference, which can be difficult to detect without specialized equipment. If you have noticed that your appliances or electronic devices are making noises, try reproducing the sound and determining where the source is coming from. This process can help you find the source of the noise so that it can be fixed. If you are unable to reproduce the noise, this may indicate that there is another problem with your appliance. This may be a result of improper wiring, or it may be a sign of a more serious issue.

Water Damage

Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, dramatically increasing the risk of electrical shocks when it comes into contact with wiring. In addition, flooded equipment may contain silt, sewage, chemicals and other contaminants that can affect how it operates.

After a flood, it’s essential to turn off the power to any areas with damaged wiring or components until they can be evaluated by a professional. Doing so minimizes the danger of electrocution and helps to avoid serious property damage or fire.

It’s also important to keep in mind that any wiring that has come into contact with flood water may need to be completely replaced, especially if it was submerged or partially submerged for hours or days. If you have any doubts, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and consult a licensed electrician.

A common misconception is that once flood-damaged electrical equipment and wiring is thoroughly dry, it’s safe to use again. However, this isn’t the case. Even if wiring seems to be working properly, it may have been compromised by contaminated water and could pose a fire hazard or fail to meet code requirements.

Electrical malfunctions are a leading cause of home and business fires. Many of these are caused by faulty wiring, which is often the result of improper maintenance and overloading outlets. Fortunately, these problems are easily prevented by routine electrical maintenance and ensuring that all electrical devices, wiring and fixtures are up to date and in good condition.

To reduce the risk of electrical fires, it’s recommended to have all wiring and outlets in your home inspected by a licensed electrician on a regular basis. It’s also a good idea to elevate switches and outlets above potential flood levels, or install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) in all potentially wet locations. Finally, make sure to use surge protection on appliances and electronics to minimize the risk of damage or failure. If you have any questions about electrical safety or are concerned about the wiring in your home, call the experienced electricians at All Service Electric & Plumbing.